Work at Upstock
Director to join the Upstock board
Upstock is a digital marketplace for food & beverage buyers and suppliers – where buyers get the best supplies, and suppliers easily fill the most orders. Upstock automates wholesale ordering, payments, and logistics.
We’re on a trajectory to be one of the world’s top B2B marketplace and ecommerce platforms. We’re a high growth startup founded by the creators of Xero.
We're on a mission to make top quality food & beverage available to more people in our communities, and around the world, while reducing waste across the global supply chain.
We love working with the best food and drink brands, the top eateries, bars and grocery markets.
We’re looking for someone who
- Adds diversity to our board and team
- Strong experience being a director of a tech company
- Strong finance and governance expertise
- Experienced with international expansion
- Ideally has marketplace tech experience
- Ideally has experience with foodservice or FMCG
- Ideally Australia or US based with a strong investor network
How you’ll make an impact
- You’ll help guide our strategic vision and our company culture
- You'll help shape our growth strategy – revenue growth, customer growth and business growth
- You'll help guide our company governance
- You'll help build our investor network
Benefits of working with Upstock
- Work with a remarkable team. Upstock was founded by the creators of Xero. We built one of the most successful startups in the world, and we want your help to build the next one. We're focused on having fun, building well crafted software, growing a business we love for customers we adore.
- We have strong backing. We’re well funded with backing from multiple VC firms and tech investors from NZ, AU, UK and the US – including the founders of major startup successes including Xero, Vend, Sharesies, Karbon, Campaign Monitor, Pepperstone, among numerous others.
- Our success is your success. In addition to equity participation, having full access to our deep network of investors, talent and media contacts will greatly add value to your own network.
- The best is yet to come. We’re a small, early stage team, so you have a lot of influence over shaping our business and our culture. We plan to stay small and grow sensibly, to maintain balance and agility.
- Our customers are a dream. The best food and drink you can imagine – and we're providing a platform to enable more amazing products to be produced and distributed so the world can enjoy them, while reducing so much waste and inefficiency.
If you're interested, we'd love to connect. Please email us, introducing yourself, including your CV (as a PDF or a link).
How we operate
We are a highly collaborative, highly transparent, highly motivated team.
We’re focused on delivering the best customer experience – everything else will follow.
We operate as a remote business, with staff located in different cities and countries. We hold all meetings by video. We have regular in-person team events throughout the year. We offer access to coworking offices for people who prefer a dedicated work space.
We work iteratively, breaking big projects into small deliverables. We track the impact of our work to continuously learn, adapt and improve. We measure results against weekly, monthly and annual targets so we know how we’re performing and what needs to improve. We encourage creativity and experimentation. We test before we invest.
Our guiding principles
Seek joy and purpose. That is the true definition of success. Enjoy the journey, follow your instincts and dreams. Your ultimate job is to make your job the best, most inspiring, rewarding, enjoyable job of your life. When that happens, our entire customer experience is infused with joy and purpose.
Redefine success. There is no “right” answer to any problem. There are infinite ways to succeed – be curious, creative and resourceful. We seek diverse people and ideas that expand and challenge our thinking, to inspire new ways of doing things. We share our insights to show each other what’s possible.
Use magic. Ultimately customers want one magic button that does everything for them, with just one tap. Our job is to make technology invisible so the only thing left is an experience so simple and obvious it seems magical.
Create value, to earn value. Financial growth is essential for success and can be achieved on a very large scale, but to achieve that we will never violate our basic principles of dignity, respect, integrity, decency, fairness and kindness. Money is the reward for creating value in people’s lives, it should never come from exploiting people.
Simply extraordinary. Our platform enables customers to simplify their lives and grow their businesses. It also enables waste minimisation, sustainable production and transport reduction – at scale. We use minimal resources to create extraordinary results.
We look after each other. We're all humans with emotional needs, idiosyncrasies and imperfections. Be kind to everyone, including yourself. Pace yourself, it's a long road with lots of twists and turns. We assist you with mentors, coaches and counselling.
Please email us, introducing yourself, including your CV (as a PDF or a link).